You probably think you have a good understanding of what constitutes traditional braces. Wires, brackets and rubber bands, right? Do you know about epigenetic orthodontics? If not, you’re not alone. Many people haven’t heard of epigenetic orthodontics, but more people are finding out about this type of treatment and how it can benefit them. Legends Dental in Waco, Texas, offers patients epigenetic options for orthodontic treatment.
What Is Epigenetic Orthodontics?
Epigenetic orthodontics is a type of orthodontics that has the same goals as traditional orthodontics. But it works differently from wire braces and clear aligners that have become popular for straightening teeth. Instead of just focusing on getting your teeth straight, epigenetics works by using your genes to help stimulate the growth of the face and movement of the teeth.
Why Does My Face Need to Grow?
Many individuals are living with improperly formed upper or lower jaws, which were caused by interruptions during growth at a young age. Having a small upper jaw can lead to underbites, while having an undersized lower jaw can contribute to overbites. Crossbites are also a consequence of improperly formed jaws.
Improperly formed jaws can lead to bite issues, tooth damage, jaw disorders like temporomandibular joint disorder and sleep conditions such as sleep apnea.
How Does Epigenetics Help?
Epigenetic orthodontic treatment uses appliances to stimulate your DNA to overcome jaw malformation. These devices do not push your teeth into different positions; instead, they spur growth and new tissue to form, which helps correct jaw malformation and address midface deficiency and other craniofacial issues.
What Are the Benefits?
The benefits of epigenetic orthodontics include:
- Appliances are removable. Unlike traditional braces, epigenetic devices are typically removable or are only worn at night.
- Easier for oral hygiene. Keeping your mouth healthy with epigenetic orthodontics is much easier than trying to brush and floss around wires and brackets.
- It doesn’t require surgery. In the past, treating jaw malformation required jaw surgery, which is painful and requires a long recovery process.
- Change in appearance. As epigenetic orthodontics addresses midface issues, many people find their treatment yields benefits beyond the mouth by giving them a face-lift without surgery!
- Improved airway. With changes to the upper and lower jaw, many patients find that their breathing gets better. This is especially important for individuals living with sleep apnea or other sleep-breathing disorders.
Want to learn more about epigenetic orthodontics and how Legends Dental can help you? Give us a call at (254) 282-0191 to schedule a consultation.